May 10, 2009

Monastery Ruins

The first step in fleshing out The Sample Dungeon is to give it a sense of place. Seeing as it is described as the Monastery Cellars I thought I would start with some concept sketches of monastery ruins, since ruins are the coolest place in the world to set a dungeon. I like to explore a variety of ideas in the early stage, before settling on anything too specific.

1. is inspired by Thai architecture to give it a bit of an exotic feel
2. is a little more typical western looking monastery.
3. is also typically western but this has a bit more feeling of a college or place of learning
4. I'm not sure where I was going with this hodge-podge, there is a bit of Mayan combined with some western shapes.

In each of these I wanted to add a hint of a river, since the map shows an underground stream and I thought it would be a great element for transporting stuff, also a secret watery entrance to the dungeon perhaps? I'm leaning towards further developing #3, but I need to think more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment