Oct 6, 2009

Martian Cities and 9th Ray Ships

Haven't posted here in a while, but I have a really good excuse. I'm beginning work on a major original edition fantasy project: an ERB Mars inspired RPG

I'm working with a fellow writer who is known in the original edition circles, and whose design work I've seen so far is very inspiring.

To kick start this here is a tiny taste of some early concept sketches I've done, which in no way represents what the final art looks like. This is just my way of "getting into" the project.

First some martian city sketches:
Next are some ideas for how the 9th Ray-powered flying ships could look. I wanted to get away from the Return of the Jedi skif look. These are just early sketches, I'll probably explore a variety of shapes, perhaps some sailing ships or galleons:
Here is a quick color treatment on another martian city sketch:

5 comments:

  1. just dont call your game

    RED PLANET, The Fantasy Role Playing Game Based on Selected Martian Tales

    I wrote and officially registered the copy right for that game in 1990 then again in 2005

    my d20 VERSION is complete
    and will probably be posted on the NET for free
    within the next coouple months

    respectfully

    clovis

    p.s. YOUR artwork is GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. matthew: thanks!
    clovis: thanks! no worries, the name will be quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the good news
    for YOU -
    the copyright for the Martian Books I- V
    has expired; thats right --> free on Project Gutenberg.
    As long as you stay away from specific characters & registered trademarks (i.e., John Carter)
    YOU should be legally protected;
    however,
    lawyers being what lawyers are,
    there is a chance they could convince a corrupt judge to rule against you :-0

    “In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers.” (PM, IX, p.48).

    ReplyDelete