Jan 11, 2017

Boob Monsters! I Mean Monster Boobs!

The other day an article about Dungeons and Dragons shift away from monster boobs popped up and it got me to thinking about one of my favorite subjects. Society has determined they must be hidden from sight. We talk about them in whispered rumors. They come in many shapes and sizes. Because of their nature many wonder what they look like.  Of course I'm talking about monsters!

Having gone through art school I've had to do a lot of nude figure drawing. Because of the classroom atmosphere it immediately becomes clinical. It is a matter of fact, you are just studying the human figure. At some point you become inured to nudity. This is the complete opposite of being a kid and opening up the Monster Manual for the first time and seeing the succubus entry!

When drawing stuff and showing it in public sometimes I have to check myself. When drawing monsters for the Beasties book I had an entry for a succubus and I decided to draw inspiration from the original Playboy model Miss May 1977 Sheila Mullen that Dave Sutherland III used to draw the succubus entry in the original Monster Manual. I had to remind myself to be discrete in certain areas.

http://kotaku.com/dungeons-dragons-gradual-shift-away-from-monster-boo-1790002540

http://elitedaily.com/social-news/dungeons-and-dragons-boobs/1720756/



1 comment:

  1. Godiva Hair in fantasy art... My mortal enemy!

    If the Godiva Hair trope was a real person, I'll throw on a silly superhero costume to fight him/her/it as a deranged vigilante with an over-the-top back-story and way-out-of-left-field theme.

    ReplyDelete