Oct 25, 2022

Project Update - Gunslinger Critters and Loathsome Horrors

 If you saw Monday's post about Damage Types in the B/X sets you know I'm deep into writing up monster descriptions. I was rereading the basic B/X books, in particular the introduction to the monster entries to see how Tom Moldvay, David Cook, and Steve Marsh handled those sections.

The Stat Explanation section for monsters (or Critters as they are called in Gunslinger) has been written with quite a bit of refinement. I really dug into the past editions of the D&D game for inspiration. Even including 5th edition, which I think handled monster stats very well. This is an area of Gunslinger I am really happy with how it came out.

The write up of this section serves multiple purposes as I will also be using this in future Beasties books. It is an attempt to make the monster descriptions even more universally useful regardless of your preferred edition. The next Beasties book is called Beasties: Loathsome Horrors and is designed to be used with Gunslinger if you want some Eldritch Horror like monstrosities to challenge your player's cowboys and natives characters with. Like all Beasties books it is designed to work with virtually any OSR system that is compatible with the original fantasy game.

You can see previews of this new Beasties book in the recent Monster of the Week posts. And yes I'm experimenting with AI art. I figure horrific tentacle beasts are kind of the ideal subject matter for where that tech is currently at. Of course I'm painting on top of them quite a bit, so don't think for a moment this is me being lazy. It is still a lot of work cleaning them up. I'm not using AI art in Gunslinger, it is all hand drawn.

Gunslinger comes with plenty of critters! This new Beasties book is just an added bonus for those interested in getting it.





No comments:

Post a Comment