Jul 19, 2022

Gunslinger Update #10


Breaking radio silence here for an update on Gunslinger. The silence wasn't intentional, it is just that I had my head down working hard on the book and lost track of time. At this point we are about 2 weeks past the date I wanted to send the files to the printer.

After reviewing the latest physical proof I felt there were still a few things that needed more work. There were 3 main areas I wanted to improve.


Layout

The book looked good on screen, but it didn't look as good printed out on physical copies. One bit of a surprise is that the font size was too large. I wanted the book to be easy to read and reference, especially during play, but the font size seemed a little too much like padding. So it was reduced by 1 point. This affected the layout on all the pages, and so that all had to be reworked. The gaps it left were filled with more art.


Art

Still the largest hold up is completing all the art. This is developing into a well illustrated book full of high quality art. It is a truism that Quantity + Quality takes time. I could have rushed it to meet a deadline, but I wanted to do a better job with the art and also draw more creatures.


Creatures

The writing is nearing completion. I keep thinking it is essentially done, but the Creatures section seemed a bit too thin. The original idea was to make Gunslinger very realistic and it didn't include many fantastic creatures. This left the encounters chapter lacking in excitement, so this section was revisited and greatly expanded. If a Referee wants to run a gritty realistic campaign they can use just the normal animals, if they want to spice things up with a little more of the fantastic that is now included as well.


I should also mention that there are some other little details, such as drawing more maps, fleshing out the random tables, and adding more adventure hooks. But these aren't as major or time consuming as the 3 main things mentioned above. I'm aiming to have this ready early next week, and of course everyone will be getting their updated PDF as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience pardner, adios for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment