Aug 22, 2017

Gen Con 50

With all the preparation for Gen Con, and being so busy at the con I haven't posted much here lately. Time to change that!

I first attended Gen Con back in 2000 when 3rd edition D&D came out. It was mind-blowingly awesome. I attended several years in a row and started showing there when they moved to Indianapolis in 2003. I stopped attending around 2011. I showed there again this year for the first time in years. The Artist Alley has gotten so good, and the show has grown exponentially with the rise of the popularity of boardgames.

This year, the 50th anniversary, they did something special and made a tribute to the first Gen Con with a recreation of the Horticultural Hall and an exhibit of the history of tabletop gaming specifically related to wargaming and RPG's.

I took several pictures. Here are a few to start with:

Recreation of the Horticultural Hall Entrance

Early Gen Con Program Guides

Early Editions of Chainmail

The Original DMG Cover Art!

Dave Sutherland III's Original Iconic Paladin in Hell Drawing

Early Draft of D&D and the Contract Between TSR and Dave Arneson

1 comment: