Nov 29, 2011

JCoM Poster


The images for John Carter (of Mars) have been pouring in lately. This poster is a very striking image, but if I didn't know better I would get the impression this was an animated film. Particularly with the placement of the Disney logo and the overall treatment. I like that it feels very pulp with a modern sensibility to it. I'll be curious to read the reactions as this image makes its way around.

Also, several great stills have been released. They are all very consistent with previously released images, no surprises here really. Woola looks almost exactly as described in the books except he looks to only have six legs instead of 8 - that could just be the angle of the shot but I don't think so. I expect him to be animated well considering Stanton's background as an animation director.






6 comments:

  1. Honestly, the Tharks still aren't working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the poster but that disney logo has GOT to go! They're really just the distributor after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE: Tharks. I remember stills of the aliens in Avatar looking kinda lame too, but I think once they were animated they looked pretty amazing. Despite the wooden story.

    Disney is making the film. This is not a Pixar production even though Stanton is directing it. Disney is 'borrowing' him to make this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Disney clarification but I still don't think they need it front and center. I'm surprised they don't have a separate production company like their old Tochstone. If I saw that without knowing anything about the movie I wouldn't go see it. Just my personal bias against D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still hate the idea that this movie is backed by that degenerate company - more so, to have their logo branded into the title, with all the evils it comes with!

    I still hate the idea that is going to be a G-rated family film - dammit Andrew Stanton, we like our Barsoom to look and feel like a goddamn heavy metal cover! >=(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It won't be G, at worst it will be PG. But, I get your point. Dejah and John run around in their birthday suits through most of the books.

    I'm rooting for Andrew Stanton though because I think he is an amazing storyteller (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, Wall-E) and hope he does an amazing job in his transition to live action. I think we can see a little from Wall-E how he will handle a sci-fantasy story like Princess of Mars.

    ReplyDelete