Sep 15, 2011

The Complete Tome of Horrors

The third party 3rd edition "d20" products varied widely in quality and usefulness. The vast majority of them deserved no better than a trip to the landfill. There are a few exceptions though, and the Tome of Horrors was one of them.

The Tome of Horrors, of which there were three in total, brought back the menagerie of monsters from D&D's dusty past and updated them for the d20 system. The beauty of it was that the updating was so well done that little effort was needed to run them in your own classic D&D game.

And now Frog God Games has brought back this classic trilogy for the Pathfinder system. While I am fond of Pathfinder in many ways, I much prefer the original in my own game sessions.

Paizo is running a limited time offer to get all 3 Tome of Horrors in one monstrous 800 page book! I have long since lost interest in such encyclopedic volumes, but I do love it in PDF format for my iPad - which I have migrated as much of my collection to as I have been able to. I love being able to bring this one thin lightweight device to the gaming table that also provides instant search.

I've already purchased the PDF and have been enjoying reading through it. Adventure ideas leap out at every page!

5 comments:

  1. FYI it's Frog God Games that brought it back. Paizo's just selling it.

    http://www.talesofthefroggod.com/index.php/products/the-tome-of-horrors

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also the Swords & Wizardry version, which is considerably more compatible with the game you're playing. As in, written for that game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pdf of the S&W version looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes Matt, love your 0e monster book for S&W!

    ReplyDelete