May 8, 2023

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Adventure

Dungeonland and The Land Beyond The Magic Mirror are two of my all time favorite adventures. Should I be embarrassed to say I read and played them before ever reading Lewis Carroll's classic novels? Let's just say that when I finally got around to reading them my appreciation for the Gary Gygax penned adventures only increased. What delightful exploits in madness and mayhem they are.

I have long thought about turning my favorite Shakespeare play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," into a D&D adventure. It seemed like a challenging idea at first. However, after rereading the play with my daughter, who enjoys Shakespeare, I found inspiration. We read an edition with explanatory notes for a modern audience, which helped clarify the text.

I drafted up a rough copy of the adventure and foisted it on my unsuspecting players, and we had a blast! It was every bit the mayhem I was hoping it would be.  While I'm not sure if my written version captures the full experience, I hope that by engaging with the text, you can see its potential.

This was also inspired, in part, by Neil Gaiman's take on The Bard's play in the Sandman graphic novel where he adopted it into a story set within the world of the Endless. Gaiman makes a lot of references to Shakespeare's work all throughout the Sandman, so if you like that sort of thing I can highly recommend that series. Gaiman manages to elevate graphic novels to high art.

If you are looking for something a little different from your typical Swords & Sorcery dungeoncrawls, then I hope you'll consider this adventure.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/437002/A-Midsummer-Nights-Dream-Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment