Dec 6, 2009

John Carter of Mars

The keys to a successful blog are timely posts and quality content. I'm failing miserably at timeliness, and not so sure about the quality. But I've been busy researching, drawing, and painting John Carter of Mars so this blog has been suffering. Over the next couple of months this blog will become the ERB Mars blog more so than an Original Edition Fantasy blog as I post art I'm doing for Al's excellent Warriors of the Red Planet RPG.

Above is our intrepid hero defending his beautiful princess while battling a green martian! This is what I envision the chapter heading splash pages to be like. While the print edition of the book is likely to by B&W I painted this in color just for fun.

6 comments:

  1. Always enjoy visiting your blog! Looking forward to more updates, and i'm looking forward to getting a copy of WotRP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone will complain about seeing more of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warm and wonderful color in this painting, Thomas. I also like the varied weaponry held by the green martian. I'm suprised at his bulk, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everyone.

    I've been experimenting with various designs for the green martians. ERB's descriptions of them are probably the most vivid of all the flora and fauna he describes in the Mars books. But drawing them so tall and spindly with the double torso as he describes them looks a bit too immplausable to me.

    Michael Whelan stayed fairly true to the descriptions but, while I love Michael Whelan's art, I'm not so wild about the cover of Gods of Mars he did which has a very spindly Tars Tarkas.

    ReplyDelete